Looking to help promote actions that keep rain where it lands and improve the quality of stormwater runoff in your community? The Madison Area Municipal Stormwater Partnership has materials, articles and other resources that organizations or groups can use to spread the message and encourage residents to take action.
Leaf-free Streets for Clean Waters Tools
Target Audience: Residents and businesses located in densely populated urban areas with a high concentration of large terrace trees (between road and sidewalk).
Key messages to share:
1. Leaves left in the street every fall are a major source of phosphorus to urban stormwater.
2. When it rains water runs through street leaves forming a "leaf-tea" rich in dissolved phosphorus that drains to our lakes, rivers and streams.
3. Safely removing street leaves before the rain can significantly reduce the amount of phosphorus in urban stormwater- Join us in keeping streets leaf-free this fall!
4. Sign up to recieve Leaf-free Streets Rain Alerts this fall- alerts will be sent (via text or email) 1-2 day before a rain event reminding you when it's time to remove street leaves.
Tools to help spread the word:
1. Leaf-free Streets for Clean Waters web site- add link to organization's web site.
2. Leaf-free Streets Template Article- feel free to customize and use in newsletters or local papers.
4. "Like" the Ripple Effects WI Facebook page and share Leaf-free Streets related posts.