Native Plantings and Rain Gardens have Ripple Effects on our Waters
In addition to providing Dane County residents with 50+ varieties of native plants at greatly reduced prices ($2/plant) through our cost-share program the 2017 Plant Dane Native Plant Program has expanded to include opportunities to: DONATE funds to purchase native plants for community projects, GROW native plants for community projects, LEARN how to build a rain garden by attending a workshop, and CAPTURE rainwater for plants by installing a rain barrel.
***The Plant Dane Native Plant Program is open to schools, non-profit organizations (lake and neighborhood associations, youth groups, faith centers, clubs, etc.), municipalities and individual residents in Dane County, Wisconsin.***
ORDER NATIVE PLANTS- NOW ACCEPTING ORDERS FOR 2017!
- Click on "Plant Dane Native Species List" below and peruse the different species available. Make notes of which you’d like (esp. their Latin name, as this is how they are listed on the order form).
- Once you know what species you want, visit "Plant Dane Online Order System" and follow the ordering instructions. Remember that plants must be ordered in multiples of four (4, 8, 12, 16, etc...), so when you enter “1” on the order form, you will get four plants; eight plants when you enter “2,” and so on. Pre-selected plant mixes come in flats of 32 plants. The Shortgrass Prairie Garden seed mix will cover 25-50 sq. ft. The website will time out after 60 minutes of inactivity, so be sure to have your list of plants that you want to order ready and avoid interruptions if possible.
- NEW THIS YEAR- All payments must be made through the online ordering system using a credit card.
- Once your order is paid and submitted you will recieve a receipt via email. Please keep a copy of your receipt for your records and bring a copy with you when you pick up plants on June 3rd.
- All orders must be received with full payment no later than Friday, March 31st, 2017. Orders without full payment will not be processed.
- Pick up your plants at 5201 Fen Oak Drive, Madison, WI on Saturday Jun 3rd, 2017 from 8:00AM to 11AM. Participants must pick up plants on this date, or have a relative, friend or neighbor pick up plants for them.
**NEW**DONATE PLANTS- This year participants will have the option to donate funds to supply plants for local native plant projects in the Dane Co. area.
- To donate simply go into the "Plant Dane Online Order System" and select the number of plants you'd like to donate in the donation section. Remember that plants must be ordered in multiples of four (4, 8, 12, 16, etc...), so when you enter “1” on the order form, you will get four plants; eight plants when you enter “2,” and so on. You won't be able to specify the type of plants, as we will select plants based on the needs of the project.
- Once you select the number of plants to donate, follow instructions to pay online.
- Spread the word to area schools and other organizations looking for native plants. Organizations can apply for FREE native plants by completing and submitting a "native plant application" to Dane County Office of Lakes and Watersheds.
**NEW** GROW NATIVE PLANTS
Volunteer with the Dane County Land and Water Resources Department to grow native plants for use in schools and community groups that are interested in incorporating native plants but may not have the budget to purchase them. Dane County will provide seeds, seed trays, a how to guide, a 2 hour training, and will distribute your plants to community partners that need plants. https://olw-lwrd.countyofdane.com/Management/Native-Plants-and-Natural-Shorelines/Native-Plants-for-Water-Quality-and-Education
INTERACTIVE RAIN GARDEN WORKSHOP- Saturday, March 25th, 2017
The Madison Area Municipal Stormwater Partnership will be holding a Rain Garden Workshop on March 25th from 9-11AM. Learn how installing a rain garden can help protect our lakes, rivers and streams and add beauty to your property! Register today at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/plant-dane-advanced-rain-garden-workshop-tickets-31644908774. Cost: $10
This workshop will focus on helping participants new to the world of rain garden design through the process of actually designing a rain garden plan for their property. It will include hands-on stations and resources to guide participants through the process of site selection, sizing, site preparation, and plant selection. Information on installation and maintenance will also be provided. Experts will be available to answer questions. ***Participants can expect to leave with a rain garden plan tailored to their site.***
CAPTURE rainwater for native plants and gardens by installing a rain barrel.
Discounts available through the City of Madison Rain Barrel and Compost Bin Sale, Sat., May 13th, 2017 10AM-2PM.
50 Gallon Rain Reserve Rain Barrel with Diverter- $119.99 100 Gallon Rain Reserve Rain Barrel with Diverter- $214.99
Pre-order online https://www.cityofmadison.com/streets/compost/CompostBinSale.cfm. Order by May 1st and receive an additional $10 off.
Important Program Links
- 2017 Plant Dane Online Order System - NOW ACCEPTING ORDERS
- 2017 Plant Dane Native Species List
- 2017 Plant Dane Native Species Quick List
- "How to Build a Rain Garden" brochure
- Building a Rain Garden
- Plant Mix Garden Designs
- Garden Designs
- Print your own rain garden sign
- "Ripple Effects" rain garden information
- Add your rain garden to the list of 1,000 Rain Gardens in Dane County!
- Seed Mix Instructions
- Landscaping Over Septic Systems with Native Plants
- Native Plant Species Available Through Plant Dane! Cost-Share Program that Tolerate Road Salt
- Winter Salt Injury and Salt-Tolerant Landscape Plants
2017 Plant Dane Schedule
|March 31||Last day orders with payment will be accepted|
|June 3||Plants are delivered to 5201 Fen Oak Drive, Madison, WI, for pick-up 8-11AM|